A Travellerspoint blog

Lake Titicaca


We left La Paz and headed to Copacabana which was a short and interesting journey. At one point we had to disembark whilst the bus was put on to a rikerty wooden boat and transported over a river. When we arrived in Copacabana we decided to make our way straight to one of the islands.... Isla Del Sol. The boat took about 3 hours and when we arrived we were confronted with alot of old Inkan steps which we had to carry our bags up to get to the town. Normally not a problem but at about 4000m above sea level everything gets harder and slower. When we got to the town we were suprised at how un touristy it was... there was some hostels and restuarants but that was about it. We checked into a hostel and had the most amazing view of the lake and all the farms with donkeys, llamas, pigs and sheep.



It was James´birthday so we headed out for a birthday beer with a view. The Island was so peaceful and quiet... There were no cars, no machines and not too many people. When we stopped talking all you could hear were the odd donkeys and pig and the occasional person passing... it was lush! We found a really nice restuarant hidden through a eucaliptus forest that had a perfect view of the sunset and it also had no electricity so when the sun went down you ate by candel light. The next day James went for the 6 hour walk to the north side of the island and back. I decided not to go and stayed on a hill with a dog that we´d made friends with. he had a really nice time, the was an Inkan sacrific table, some old ruins and a sacred stone where the Inkans believed the sun was born... He said it was ´pretty good´.


That night we went back to the resturant (called Las Velas in case you ever go) and had a nice meal again. The next morning we were woken up by the Donkeys and headed down to the port to get a boat back to the main land. When we got there it turned out that there were no busses because of road blockes and drivers on strike so we had to stay in Copacabana for a night. This was ok for the first 5 hours but after that it was a bit boring, the town is quite touristy so your constantly hounded by people to come in to their restaraunt or bar even if its the 20th time you´ve walked passed them! We managed to get a bus the next day and headed straight to Cusco as we didn´t want to get stuck again. We´ve decided to do some volunteer work in Cusco so we had to get there by a certain time. We arrived early morning in Cusco, hecked in to a hostel and had asleep before heading out to explore the city.

Posted by St Martins 13:24 Archived in Bolivia Tagged cruises

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.